Theologian of the Cross

About Me

My photo
Cookeville, TN, United States
I teach humanities at Highland Rim Academy in Cookeville, Tennessee. I am also licensed to preach in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church.

Links

Audio Resources

Blogs I Read

League of Reformed Bloggers

Homespun Bloggers

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

"J. I. Packer puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like you and me," part II

In our discussion two weeks ago, Rev. Syms and I discussed personal spiritual disciplines--both Rev. Syms' spiritual disciplines and spiritual disciplines in general.

We also discussed how it is possible for a somewhat impressionable young theologian, such as me, to put one or two certain theologians on a pedestal and then elevate them so high that he might sometimes accept some or all of what they say simply on their authority, rather than judging them by the Bible. This is something to which I may be prone if I'm not careful. If I were to fall into this danger, it would be John Piper and J. I. Packer whom I would elevate. For, I have been listening extensively and almost exclusively to John Piper's sermons on Romans, and also reading J. I. Packer's books (or books he endorses; most recently, Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God). I recently read a comment to a hilarious blog post that said jokingly,

I’ve often wondered how J.I. Packer has the time to read all the books that he endorces or writes the foreword to. And how much does he get paid for each one? Even if it is $10 each, he is a millionaire!
I’m thankful. How would we know which books are Reformed/Biblical without him?
This is funny, because I own at least six books that are either authored or endorsed by Packer. And, I do get excited and want to buy a book when I see his name on it. I need to take care to ensure that, within those theologians whom I have judged faithful to Scripture and edifying, I read a greater number and a greater variety of theologians. As Rev. Syms reminded me, "J. I. Packer puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like you and me."

I also showed Rev. Syms some of the tracts that I had been handing out when evangelizing. And, when he expressed concern about the message or theology of some of them, I was embarrassed; I realized that I had never bothered to read through any of the tracts that I had been using in evangelism. He pointed out--and after I read through them I agreed--that two of the tracts in particular were questionable. The first was the "Four Spiritual Laws" tract by Bill Bright. Bright is a free-will-ist to the core, and this prompted the concern. And, most of my tracts were "Four Spiritual Laws" tracts (I get all my tracts from my fellow evangelists). The second questionable tract was the million-dollar bill tract. I have never liked these tracts (and have seldom used them). One side of this tract is designed like an imaginary $1 million bill. The other side has a bare-bones gospel message written around the border. It says:

"The million dollar question: Will you go to Heaven? Here's a quick test. Have you ever told a lie, stolen anything, or used God's name in vain? Jesus said, "Whoever looks upon a woman to lust after her has committed adultery already with her in his heart." Have you looked with lust? Will you be guilty on Judgment Day? If you have done those things God sees you as a lying, thieving, blasphemous, adulterer at heart. The Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in Hell. That's not God's will. He sent His Son to suffer and die on the cross for you. Jesus took your punishment upon Himself -- 'For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.' Then He rose from the dead and defeated death. Please, repent (turn from sin) today and trust in Jesus, and God will grant you everlasting life. Then read your Bible daily and obey it."
What really makes me uneasy is how I've seen other people use these tracts. At least one of my fellow evangelists in particular uses them in a way that is ineffective and even seems to result in deception and trickery. He'll leave the "bills" lying around in various (public) places, such as in the coin slots of newspaper vending machines, on the large tree pots that line the streets, and even in the middle of a street crosswalk, so that, appearing to be real money, it will be picked up by someone. When I've watched people pick such-placed "bills" up, it has always looked like trickery to me. This, I believe, only hurts the spread of the gospel. From now on, I will be more careful about the tracts I use, and I myself will acquire tracts.

Huh: it appears that the secret service has confiscated a large number of these misguided tracts. Wow.